What The Client Wanted
This large pharmaceutical building boasts over 8,000m2 of industrial cladding sheets of which 2,000m2 needed our services at this particular time. This was spread over two elevations and required additional attention before the spraying was undertaken. As coating was applied many years ago, the existing coatings were presenting extreme signs of flaking and weathering.
The client required a company that could both jet-wash the cladding to clean away remaining flaking coatings, and then respray the building back to its former state.
As this is a pharmaceutical building there was a 19m nitrogen tank attached to one of the elevations that we were working on. There were very strict guidelines we were required to follow.
This job in particular required us to use a ‘Titan 60’, which at the time was the only one in the country. This piece of machinery was essential to completing this job on time and on budget and with the highest quality finish as it has the boom of a cherry picker and the platform of a scissor lift.
What We Did
We attended the site to produce a sample for the client to review before works commenced.
This project lasted slightly longer than one month and took many man hours to complete. In order to remove the existing coatings our operatives used a combination of high pressure jet washing. This was an essential process because if the flaking paint was left on and we coated it, it would end up taking off our new coating.
Maneuvering this titan of a machine around the nitrogen tank was a task we carried out with the upmost care and attention. We had our company safety supervisor guiding and keeping a watch to ensure zero contact was made. Once the old coatings had been removed this left the area very untidy with paint flakes covering the floor. We then had to send a team over the weekend to clean the floors, ensuring when the spraying was to be completed that nothing could fly into the air and into the paint.
Once the cladding was ready to be sprayed, we started by applying a base primer coat and then moved on to apply the top coat which left an amazing looking building. The only problems we encountered here was the drying times between coats, if the drying time dropped too low or were raised too high it would affect the adhesion of the coating.
Half way through the primer stage we received news that a new external building was to be placed where we were working on the current building. This created all types of obstacles, such as concrete footings, fencing and cars, as a big section had been taken away from us.
The job was finished on time and on budget. There were a few unexpected obstacles but due to our